Saturday, September 29, 2018

September


I am always astonished at how fast time flies. It feels like just yesterday I was packing up to move from Austin to New Orleans, yet I am now officially one month into my Pharmacology program. This past month has been one of the most time consuming, but most fulling, months I've had in a while.


I began trying to balance living in a new city and all the information from class being thrown at us. Thankfully, I was lucky enough to make great friends who I was able to explore the city and study with. We had our first block exam a couple of weeks ago, and while there is room for improvement, I was pleased with my grades. We are now on our way towards our second block exam, and I am at a love/hate point with our grueling study sessions.

This month I also began volunteering for the Edible School Yard at Samuel Green Charter School. ESY focuses on using a garden to teach its students autonomy, hard-work, and working together. I was placed with the kindergarten and was reminded how much I love volunteering. The kids were so excited to learn how we taste food (grown from their garden) with the different parts of our mouth. Watching their faces as they ate lemons was probably the best moment of this month! I am excited to continue volunteering with them weekly. Besides ESY, I volunteered for the American Cancer Society by helping them set up for their 18th Annual Belles and Beaus Ball. Watching everyone work together for such a great event and seeing the Venue finished, made my Friday quite memorable!

I am excited to see what the next month brings!

September Service Hours: 4.25 hours

Total Service Hours: 4.25 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment

April

Wow! I can't believe this is my last post. Yesterday, we finished our last exam and there was a bitter sweet feeling. I am excited to ha...